Meetolog: the beginning
Two days ago I started building a project on the side (I'm currently working as a full-time software developer, but still have my spare weekends and nights, which I plan to use in a productive way). I call the thing I'm building Meetolog.
It's a platform for outlining meeting agendas, keeping meeting notes and tasks/next steps.
Now, sharing the process of building things is not something that I originally came up with. It's a thing that's trending in various communities they call it "building in public" or "building in the open". I first saw it in indiehackers. You basically share the progress, ideas, struggles etc. of something that's currently a work in progress. People do it in many different ways. Some use twitter, others use facebook/instagram, others create youtube videos or write blog posts about it (like I intend to do) etc.
To be honest, I find it a useless exercise, if you don't have a clear goal, a reason for doing it.
So, I have two reasons to "build in public":
- to have a personal log of the things I've been through and learn from my mistakes (which I plan to share as well, not only the moments of glory) and
- to keep myself accountable and disciplined. I'm planning to do it once in a while, though. I won't be aiming at something strict, say every day, but I'll try to keep it consistent and post at least once a week what's going on.
This post is my first attempt at building in public.
What am I building?
- Research the current market - Estimate: 1 day. Not going to spend more time on this in the beginning. I'll just build the thing as I'd like it to be with a beginners mind approach and adjust in the process.
- Start with a simple wireframe in Figma - Estimate: 1 day.
- Develop the frontend with mocked server wherever possible. - Estimate: TBD
- Develop the server. - Estimate: TBD
- Hook the frontend to the developed API. - Estimate: TBD
- Develop the landing page - Estimate: 1-2 days.
- Deploy - Estimate: TBD/some research needs to be done